It is possible for Magento to automatically send exception reports to an email address of your choosing. This will allow you to be notified of critical exceptions if and when they occur. These emails come through with the subject "Store Debug Information"
Setup / Configuration
As with all work that requires code changes, we recommend creating a development instance to carryout and test the work before taking live. (This comes as standard with MDOQs managed Magento hosting).
- Create a development instance
- If the file `pub/errors/local.xml` doesn't exist create it. There should be a `pub/errors/local.xml.sample` that you can use as a template. (Don't worry if not you can use the content from the next steps)
- The file format should look like this:
* Copyright Â© Magento, Inc. All rights reserved.
* See COPYING.txt for license details.
"action" can be set to "print" to show exception on screen and "email"
to send exception on specified email
in "subject" you can set subject of email
<subject>Store Debug Information</subject>
"email_address" admin email address
"trash" is handle about trace info
value "leave" is for store on disk
value "delete" is for cleaning
- You then need to add the email address you would like the exceptions to go to, to the `email_address` element, for example
Once you are happy with the above you can then take this work live using your normal deployment process.