This is a basic guide on the process of upgrading Varnish (this might be required because a new version is required by a Magento upgrade, though we may chose to upgrade Varnish for other reasons).
- You need to know the version of Redis you are going to be upgrading to.
- SSH access
Upgrading Varnish on a development instance
- Create a new instance.
- Edit the settings of the instance, set the Varnish version to the one desired. Then click "save" (uncheck the box to sync affected components).
- Completely recreate the instance. (DONT do this on PROD) (unpushed code and DB changes will be lost)
- Open ssh and run
- Ensure the
mdoq/varnish/varnish.vclis in git. Check if there are any changes to be pushed. If so, this work will need to be released (zero downtime) before the varnish upgrade.
- You can now test the instance to see if it runs correctly on the updated Varnish.
Upgrading Varnish on production
- Perform zero downtime release (if required, see step 5 of Upgrading Varnish on a development instance).
- Select production instance
- Select settings => Varnish.
- Enable / change to the appropriate version.
- Sync, select Varnish. Click "Sync".
- Once complete check the site.