How to upgrade MySQL for your Magento site, using MDOQ.
This might be required because a new version is required by a Magento upgrade, though you may chose to upgrade MySQL for other reasons.
In this guide we are going to work through upgrading MySQL on your production instance.
The general overview follows these steps:
- Identify the version of MySQL you want to upgrade to (see Requirements).
- Test the upgrade on a development instance (see Testing Process).
- Deploy the upgrade on your production instance (see Production Process).
Before we can begin we need to know what version of MySQL we are wanting to upgrade to. If you are unsure we recommend using the Magento Upgrade Calculator.
Before deploying an upgrade to production, we need to test the new version in an environment away from production. Fortunately this is just what MDOQ was designed to do.
Because MDOQ snapshots the database after an import any follow up recreates will be faster and won't give an accurate downtime assessment, for this reason we recommend do a full database backup before each test.
- Create a new instance.
- Edit the settings of the instance, set the MySQL version to the one desired, and change Snapshot to "Lastest Full". Then click "save" (MDOQ should give you a message above the "save" button about it needing to sync MySQL).
- Wait for sync to complete.
- Open ssh and run
- You can now test the instance to see if it runs correctly on the updated MySQL.
If you are happy with the testing carried out you are ready to move to the Production Process. We strongly recommend you leave this instance in place until after you have upgraded MySQL on production, as this will allow MDOQ support to assist if you experience issues on production. (This will allow us to validate if issues are production only (likely infrastructure related) or exist in development also (likely application related)).
We are working hard on automating this process so you can carry it out yourself.
At present please raise a support request with ourselves where we can organise a time to carry this process out for you.